FanShot

First, if the Jays insisted on keeping Farrell and refused to let him go this time, they would have...

First, if the Jays insisted on keeping Farrell and refused to let him go this time, they would have likely had to offer him a multi-year extension. He has not earned a multi-year extension and the feeling would have been that the new contract had been forced on them.

As much as I hate to do it, I agree with Richard Griffin on this one. If the Jays wanted to keep him they needed to extend him and, likely, they just weren't ready to do that.