It's official! David Carpenter Sent To Red Sox In Mike Aviles Trade

Sources tell Alex Speier and Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that the Toronto Blue Jays will be sending 27-year old RHP David Carpenter to the Boston Red Sox in exchange for IF Mike Aviles. Aviles (@TheMikeAviles) confirmed on Twitter that he will be coming to Toronto.

Darrell David Carpenter, the Jays' second "D. Carpenter" to wear #39 this past season, was acquired from the Houston Astros on July 20 along with J.A. Happ and Brandon Lyon. He appeared in 3 games with the big club, throwing 2.2 rather ineffective innings.

2012 - David Carpenter 0-0 3 0 0 0 0 0 2.2 8 10 9 1 2 4 30.38 3.75

Last offseason, the Boston Red Sox received another Carpenter--Christopher John--as compensation from the Chicago Cubs for general manager Theo Epstein.

UPDATE: Literally moments after this was posted, Sportsnet's Barry Davis reported that the Blue Jays have made the trade official.

UPDATE 2: Just received this press release from the Blue Jays:

BLUE JAYS COMPLETE DEAL WITH RED SOX

The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have traded RHP DAVID CARPENTER to the Boston Red Sox in exchange for IF MIKE AVILES and have released manager JOHN FARRELL from his contract. The transaction was agreed upon by both clubs, and was contingent upon the Red Sox reaching an agreement with John Farrell for their managerial position.

AVILES, 31, appeared in 136 games for the Red Sox last season, batting .250 with 13 home runs and 60 RBI. The 5-10, 204 lb. right-handed hitter was originally drafted in the 7th round by the Kansas City Royals in 2003 and just completed his 5th Major League season. In 475 games with the Royals and Red Sox, Aviles has posted a .277 average with 39 home runs and 190 RBI.

CARPENTER, 27, was acquired by the Blue Jays from the Houston Astros in July and appeared in three games out of the bullpen. The Morgantown, West Virginia native posted 0-2 record with an 8.07 ERA in 33 games with Houston and Toronto in 2012.

FARRELL, 50, completed his second season as Toronto’s manager, posting a 73-89 record in 2012 and a 4th place finish. The Monmouth, New Jersey native now owns a 154-170 record in his two seasons as a manager.