Sea Change: Pirates Capture Chad Beck

Brad White

Reliever Chad Beck will be joining former Las Vegas 51s teammate Travis Snider in the PIttsburgh Pirates organization after he was claimed on waivers from the Toronto Blue Jays.

In another minor roster move, reliever Chad Beck was claimed on waivers by the Pittsburgh Pirates today after the 27-year old was designated for assignment on Monday to make room on the 40-man roster for Bobby Wilson.

Beck, hailing from Woodville, Texas, pitched in 17 games for the Toronto Blue Jays in two partial seasons. Beck made a memorable Major League debut at Fenway Park on September 13, 2011 during an 18-5 drubbing by the Boston Red Sox. Two Jays relievers combined to give up 7 runs in the 8th inning before Beck entered the game, when he induced Dustin Pedroia to fly out on his first Major League pitch to end the inning. Beck ended 2011 without giving up a run in three relief appearances.

His first run came in his 6th career game in June 2012, when he was asked to pitch 3.2 innings (unusual for him) after Brandon Morrow's early exit due to his injury. Beck was optioned back to Las Vegas after the game where he resumed his role as their AAA All-Star closer. Beck fared very well in the thin air of the Pacific Coast League, getting 18 saves in 43 AAA appearances, finishing his year with the 51s with a 1.31 ERA and 1.083 WHIP with a 4.5 K/9 rate! His line in Toronto was not nearly as sterling, having recorded a 6.32 ERA in 14 appearances giving up 2 homers on the way.

Beck was acquired from the Arizona Diamondbacks in 2008 in exchange for the scrappy David Eckstein.

Good bye, Chad, best of luck with your career. You are still an "(E)-Pro" pitcher, so I "Guess You're Doing Fine" you're not a "Loser" or a "Lost Cause", "Pay No Mind" to being DFAed. OK I'll stop now.