Manager Prospects: Matt Williams

Matt Williams - Norm Hall

Another name added to the list of possible replacements for John Farrell.

I should have known we would have to add some names, Anthopoulos is nothing if not exhaustive in his searching for someone to fill any position. We heard, today, that the Jays have asked to talk to Diamondbacks' third base coach Matt Williams.

Playing Career:

Matt Williams was a terrific player, he hit 378 home runs, drove in 1218 runs, with a .268/.317/.489 slash line over 17 seasons in the majors. He made 5 All-Star teams, won 4 Gold Gloves and 4 Silver Slugger awards. He played 10 seasons with the Giants, 1 with the Indians, and finished his career with 6 seasons with the Diamondbacks. He had 6 seasons when he had over 30 home runs.

The downside is that he was named in the Mitchell report as a player who used steroids.

Coaching Career:

In 2010 Williams was hired as the Diamondbacks first base coach. He moved over to third base in 2011 and has coached there since. Before that he was an analyst for Diamondback TV broadcasts. He is also manager for the Salt River Rafter in the Arizona Fall League this year.

His Chances in Toronto:

Again, I don't know. He doesn't have much of a history as a coach or manager yet.

A Google search of his name comes up with an post saying that he will be "The Next Great MLB Manager", but the article comes a long ways short of convincing me, it mostly sounds like the writer was a huge fan, not that there is anything wrong with being a fan.

He is an minority owner of the Diamondback, so I guess we know what his 'dream job' would be.

Maybe he would be great, I just have no way of knowing. I'm sure he is worth interviewing. Maybe he will interview really well and get the job.

In This Article

Teams