FanPost

Why Farrell Needs To Go

Okay maybe 'need' is a strong word, but I think the Jays would be better off without him.

I like Farrell as a manager, but I'm not convinced he is all that more valuable than say, Sandy Alomar Jr.

He is a manager let's remember, so his value is strictly off field. He is not as valuable as a player, and isn't irreplaceable. I think Farrell is a average-good manager in the MLB, I would have a hard time finding evidence to call him one of the league's best. Even if he is a little better than the next guy, how many wins was Farrell worth in 2012? Obviously we could lose a pretty good manager, but how many more Wins is he worth compared to Alomar Jr.?

Farrell only has one year left on his contract. He could essentially walk after that and leave for nothing. He is 'committed' to the 2013 Jays but nothing beyond that. Why not get value back for one year of Farrell? I mean if AA thinks he is the difference between a World Series or not down the road then he probably would already have a contract extension.

Ozzie Guillen netted the WhiteSox the Marlins 4th and 6th best prospects. If we could land the same type of package from the Redsox then our farm looks even stronger. Personally I am ready to acquire these prospects and ship them off for a player that can help us win in 2013 and beyond (a whole lot more than an average manager can).

I just feel like this makes sense for both teams at this point. The Redsox need a manager, and we need one without Farrell's question marks; somebody that is committed for beyond 2013. I think we either need to trade him or extend him, and I think trading him is the best option at this point.

Anyone else Agree?