Things A Blue Jays Fan Should Know

The Blue Jays are now the talk of the town here in Toronto, and the team may be gaining many new fans. What should they know about our azure-tinged corvidae?

The Toronto Blue Jays are definitely relevant again after their high-profile acquisitions to start his offseason. Helped out by the lack of NHL hockey and a struggling Toronto Raptors team, baseball has found many newspaper and blog headlines, and Blue Jays talk can be found on the airwaves at all hours of the day even in the middle of November! I expect that there will be a lot of new Blue Jays fans here in Toronto, across Canada, and around the world.

A new member to the Bluebird Banter community wrote a Fanpost asking us to help him with some Blue Jays history and basic knowledge about the team. I thought that it would be a great idea for the fans who frequent our blog here to help the new folks with the stuff that every Blue Jays fan should know, both historically and currently. I'll start off with some easy ones:

  • The Blue Jays won the World Series in 1992 versus the Atlanta Braves and in 1993 versus the Philadelphia Phillies. Joe Carter was involved in in the last play of both championships: he was playing first and caught a toss from Mike Timlin to force out Otis Nixon, and he hit a three-run come-from-behind home run to give Toronto back-to-back championships.
  • The Blue Jays started playing in 1977. They played in a crappy outdoor ballpark--Exhibition Stadium--until mid-1989 when they moved into the retractable dome stadium once known as Skydome and now known as the Rogers Centre.
  • Currently, no one is managing the Blue Jays after their manager for the past two years, John Farrell, left to manage the hated Boston Red Sox. Every time you see him, you should boo loudly--even if it's just in front of the TV or the computer.

Now I'll turn it over to you commenters: what should every Blue Jays fan know about this team?

You can follow Bluebird Banter (@BluebirdBanter) and Minor Leaguer (@Minor_Leaguer) on Twitter.