The Blockbuster Trade Is Officially Completed

Josh Johnson and Jose Reyes from a 2012 Marlins promotional poster. - Steve Mitchell-US PRESSWIRE

Huge trade. Who was just complaining that the Jays weren't giving us anything to talk about.

The trade is as reported, though the Jays aren't saying how much money isn't coming with the players, but it is likely the $8 million that has been reported. Also Joel Carreno is DFA to make room on the roster.To summarize:

To Toronto Blue Jays:
SP Mark Buehrle, SP Josh Johnson, SS Jose Reyes, IF/OF Emilio Bonifacio, C John Buck + an undisclosed amount of cash considerations

To Miami Marlins:
SS Yunel Escobar, SS Adeiny Hechavarria, SP Henderson Alvarez, C Jeff Mathis, P Justin Nicolino, OF Jake Marisnick, P Anthony DeSclafani

Let's just briefly look at the payroll transfer:

Mark Buehrle: $12 million 2013, $19 million 2014, $20 million 2015.

Josh Johnson: $13.75 million 2013.

Jose Reyes: $10 million 2013, $16 million 2014, $22 million 2015, $22 million 2016, $22 million 2017.

John Buck: $6.5 million 2013

Emilio Bonifacio: Arbitration 2nd year 2013, Arbitration 3rd year 2014.

So that's $42.25 million in contracts for 2013, plus whatever Bonifacio gets, let's guess $2.5 million making it $44.75 million in contracts going to the Jays for next season.

Buehrle and Reyes are the only ones with a contract for 2014, but they add up to $42 million. Jose gets $22 million in 2015 and 2016.

Going to the Marlins:

Yunel Escobar: $5 million 2013, club options for 2014-15 at $5 million a year.

Jeff Mathis:$1.5 million 2013.

Henderson Alvarez: $482,900.

Adeiny Hechavarria: $2.75 million.

So we are adding roughly $36 million to our payroll for this season, minus what ever the Marlins sent along with the players.