Blue Jays - Marlins Trade By The Numbers

Steve Mitchell-US PRESSWIRE

A lot has been written about the blockbuster trade between the Blue Jays and the Marlins that was just made official. Here, Minor Leaguer looks at it by the numbers.

12

Number of players involved in this blockbuster deal, the most in any single trade in Blue Jays franchise history.

10

Number of players involved in the second largest trade in Blue Jays history. On July 20, 2012, Toronto acquired J.A. Happ, Brandon Lyon, and David Carpenter from the Houston Astros for Francisco Cordero, Ben Francisco, Asher Wojciechowski, Carlos Perez, David Rollins, Joseph Musgrove, and Kevin Comer.

4

Number of previous trades between the Blue Jays and Marlins. In 1993 the Marlins traded cash for Greg O'Halloran, in 1994, the Blue Jays sent Eddie Zosky to Florida for Scott Pace, in 1995, Aaron Small was traded to the Marlins for Ernie Delgado, and in 2001, the Blue Jays sent Chad Mottola to the Marlins for cash considerations.

9

After Josh Johnson makes his first appearance as a Blue Jay, he will become the ninth Johnson to play for the team, the most for any last name. Previous Johnsons: Jerry (P), Tim (IF), Tony (OF), Cliff (DH), Joey (P), Dane (P), Reed (OF), Kelly (IF). Davis is the second most frequent last name: Bob (C), Dick (OF), Steve (P), Doug (P), Rajai (OF).

7

Jose Reyes wore #7 with the Mets and the Marlins. No player has worn #7 in the past two seasons because it belonged to former first base coach Torey Lovullo. The last player to wear it was Jeremy Reed, who wore it for 14 games in 2010.

55

Josh Johnson wore #55 with the Marlins. The last player to wear #55 was DeWayne Wise in 2000 in his first stint with the Blue Jays (Wise has worn the more uniform numbers than any other Blue Jay in history: donning #1, #3, #16, #55). Former third base coach Brian Butterfield has worn it since 2002.

56

Mark Buehrle wore #56 with the White Sox and the Marlins. Seven Blue Jays have worn #56 in franchise history: Robert Coello (-0.4 WAR, 6 games), Andy Dominique (0.0 WAR, 2 games), Ryota Igarashi (-0.3 WAR, 2 games), Brian McRae (-0.4 WAR, 31 games), Zach Stewart (0.1 WAR, 3 games), Brian Tallet (0.0 WAR, 215 games).

1

Emilio Bonifacio wore #1 with the Marlins. You may remember Tony Fernandez, a former Blue Jays infielder who wore #1. Eleven Blue Jays have worn #1, all but three were primarily infielders. The last player to wear it was outfielder Darin Mastroianni in his one game as a Blue Jay.

14

John Buck wore #14 with the Blue Jays and the Marlins. If he stays with the Jays and wants the number, he will have to offer something to Moises Sierra, who wore it in the second half of 2012 after Eric Thames was traded.

20120422_hcs_sy4_075

Photo credit: Howard Smith-US PRESSWIRE

23.9

Average age of players going to Miami from Toronto

29.8

Average age of players going to Toronto from Miami

7

Number of former All-Stars on the Blue Jays team: Jose Bautista, John Buck, Mark Buehrle, Melky Cabrera, Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes, and Ricky Romero.

$35.8

Million

Sum of the salaries of the Blue Jays' five highest-paid players on opening day 2012. They were: Jose Bautista ($14 million), Kelly Johnson ($6.38 million), Ricky Romero ($5.25 million), Adam Lind ($5.15 million), and Yunel Escobar ($5 million).

$57.8

Million

Sum of the salaries of the Blue Jays' five highest-paid players right now. They are: Jose Bautista ($14 million), Josh Johnson ($13.75 million), Mark Buehrle ($12 million), Jose Reyes ($10 million), and Edwin Encarnacion tied with Melky Cabrera ($8 million).

$5.5

Million

What the Miami Marlins have committed for the 2014 payroll at the moment: $1.5 million is due to Jeff Mathis, and $4 million is due to Heath Bell (who is now with the Arizona Diamondbacks).

$92

Million

What the Toronto Blue Jays have committed for the 2014 payroll at the moment.

10

Number of Blue Jays with a "J" in their name: J.P. Arencibia, Jose Bautista, John Buck, Rajai Davis, Mark Buehrle, J.A. Happ, Casey Janssen, Jeremy Jeffress, Chad Jenkins, Josh Johnson, and Jose Reyes.

8395

Minutes between the time the trade was first reported by Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) at 6:10 pm Eastern on November 13, to the Blue Jays officially confirmed it via a media release at 2:05 pm on November 19. (Also the number of times I refreshed Twitter hoping for news.)

85

Days until the voluntary Spring Training reporting date for pitchers and catchers!

Sources

Baseball-Reference.com, BlueJays.com, 2012 Blue Jays Official Guide, Cot's Baseball Contracts.