Reissued Numbers: A Blue Jays History

Ben Francisco and Yorvit Torrealba both wore #8 for the Toronto Blue Jays in 2012. - Photo credit: james_in_to / Modified by Minor Leaguer

As a break from postseason player movements, Minor Leaguer takes a look at uniform numbers that have been assigned to multiple Blue Jays players within a single season.

In the Toronto Blue Jays' 36 year history, two or more players have worn the same uniform number in the same season 117 times. Uniform numbers are reissued during the season for various reasons: players get traded, called up, and some might just want to change their luck. For the purposes of this list, I did not include uniform numbers used for special occasions (for example, all the players wear #42 on Jackie Robinson Day, and the last game of 2012 when Omar Vizquel and Brett Lawrie swapped numbers), nor did I include numbers worn by coaches and managers.

The Blue Jays' record for most number of reissued numbers was 10, set in 1999. In 2011 there were 9 reissues, and this season there were 8. It shouldn't be a surprise that the Blue Jays also used the most players in these three years, 54 in 2012 and 53 in 1999 and 2011. Toronto had no reissued numbers in 1983 and 1984--the two seasons when the club used the fewest total players with just 33 (by comparison, the 2012 Blue Jays used 34 pitchers). The only team in Major League Baseball without a reissued number in 2012 were the Seattle Mariners.

Out of the 117 times a number was re-used, five numbers were used by three players in the same season, and once, in 2007, four Blue Jays wore #4.

Year

Uniform Number

Players Wearing Uniform Number

1979

5

Bobby Brown, Craig Kusick, Bob Robertson

2002

43

Scott Cassidy, Mark Hendrickson, Raul Mondesi

2004

51

Terry Adams, Ryan Glynn, Dave Maurer

2007

4

Howie Clark, Joe Inglett, Ryan Roberts, Jason Smith

2008

23

Rod Barajas, Jose Bautista, Shannon Stewart

2008

48

Armando Benitez, Jesse Carlson, Scott Richmond

We saw a special case of reissued uniforms in 2012: for the first time in franchise history, two players with the same last names shared a single uniform number in a single season. Andrew "Drew" Carpenter wore #39 from July 5 until July 31 then David Carpenter wore #39 from August 10 through September 26. Both were 27-year old right-handed relievers. Andrew was 6'3" tall and weighed 230 pounds, while David was an inch and 15 pounds lighter. David could easily have fitted in Andrew's old jersey--and back when Rogers was still thought of as cheap owners, it was easy to joke that they assigned #39 to David to save a few bucks.

For those interested enough about this topic, I have included the year-by-year listing of all reissued numbers in Blue Jays history below.

Season

Number of

Reissues

Players Who Wore Reissued Uniform Numbers

1977

1

10: Jim Mason, Doug Rader

1978

3

14: Butch Alberts, Tom Hutton

16: Joe Coleman, Tim Nordbrook

21: Rico Carty, Mark Wiley

1979

5

5: Bobby Brown, Craig Kusick, Bob Robertson

25: Dave Freisleben, Steve Luebber

37: Ted Wilborn, Dave Stieb

45: Steve Grilli, Tom Murphy

46: Steve Luebber, Dyar Miller

1980

3

11: Steve Braun, Mike Macha

23: Dave Lemanczyk, Mike Willis

46: Mike Barlow, Joey McLaughlin

1981

2

2: Danny Ainge, Fred Manrique

51: Nino Espinosa, Paul Mirabella

1982

3

3: Wayne Nordhagen, Leon Roberts

10: John Mayberry, Dave Revering

35: Dick Davis, Dave Geisel

1983

0

None

1984

0

None

1985

3

23: Cecil Fielder, Mitch Webster

25: Steve Davis, Len Matuszek

38: Gary Allenson, Steve Nicosia

1986

2

31: Jim Acker, Duane Ward

33: Doyle Alexander, Joe Johnson

1987

2

35: Jeff Musselman, Phil Niekro

46: Mike Flanagan, Gary Lavelle

1988

1

40: Doug Bair, Rob Ducey

1989

4

9: Bob Brenly, John Olerud

13: Lee Mazzilli, Jeff Musselman

21: Francisco Cabrera, Ozzie Virgil

29: Jesse Barfield, Glenallen Hill

1990

3

26: Jim Eppard, Ozzie Virgil

40: Buddy Black, Mark Whiten

46: Mike Flanagan, Tom Gilles

1991

7

12: Roberto Alomar, Ken Williams

19: Ray Giannelli, Devon White

23: Candy Maldonado, Mark Whiten

24: Glenallen Hill, Turner Ward

26: Vince Horseman, Mickey Weston

27: Willie Fraser, Cory Snyder

49: Tom Candiotti, Randy Knorr

1992

2

11: David Cone, Jeff Kent

21: Mike Maksudian, Greg Myers

1993

3

2: Rob Butler, Luis Sojo

14: Rickey Henderson, Darrin Jackson

24: Rickey Henderson, Turner Ward

1994

1

24: Greg Cadaret, Dave Righetti

1995

1

44: Danny Darwin, Ken Robinson

1996

2

38: Giovanni Carrara, Huck Flener

49: Luis Andujar, Tony Castillo

1997

4

12: Tilson Brito, Rich Butler

24: Mariano Duncan, Paul Spoljaric

40: Carlos Almanzar, Mike Timlin

54: Omar Daal, Woody Williams

1998

5

2: Tom Evans, Craig Grebeck

20: Pat Lennon, Mike Stanley

33: Jose Canseco, Ed Sprague

39: Erik Hanson, Nerio Rodriguez

50: Chris Carpenter, Ben VanRyn

1999

10

3: Noberto Martin, Vernon Wells

7: Tony Batista, Pat Kelly

17: Curtis Goodwin, Dave Hollins

19: Dan Plesac, David Segui

20: Rob Butler, Pat Lennon

29: Geronimo Berroa, Pat Borders

31: Robert Person, Chris Woodward

40: Eric Ludwick, Paul Spoljaric

43: Tom Davey, John Hudek

46: Mike Romano, Steve Sinclair

2000

5

15: Marty Cordova, Chad Mottola

21: Charlie Greene, Esteban Loaiza

22: Rob Ducey, Chad Mottola

36: Clayton Andrews, Pedro Borbon

50: Leo Estrella, Joey Hamilton

2001

4

7: Tony Batista, Felipe Lopez

17: Chris Michalak, Josh Phelps

28: Brandon Lyon, Lance Painter

36: Scott Eyre, Bob File

2002

3

19: Dan Plesac, Cliff Politte

29: Kevin Cash, Scott Eyre

43: Scott Cassidy, Mark Hendrickson, Raul Mondesi

2003

1

24: Bobby Kielty, Shannon Stewart

2004

2

17: Eric Crozier, Josh Phelps

51: Terry Adams, Ryan Glynn, Dave Maurer

2005

1

28: Shaun Marcum, Greg Myers

2006

1

50: Vinnie Chulk, Davis Romero

2007

5

4: Howie Clark, Joe Inglett, Ryan Roberts, Jason Smith

7: Joe Inglett, Josh Towers

11: Royce Clayton, John-Ford Griffin

18: Hector Luna, Tomo Ohka

40: Dustin McGowan, Brian Wolfe

2008

6

4: Shannon Stewart, Jorge Velandia

6: John McDonald, Jorge Velandia

23: Rod Barajas, Jose Bautista, Shannon Stewart

35: Frank Thomas, Brad Wilkerson

48: Armando Benitez, Jesse Carlson, Scott Richmond

59: Jesse Carlson, Randy Wells

2009

2

15: Kevin Millar, Alex Rios