Roster Moves: Blue Jays Add Ryan Goins and A.J. Jimenez To 40-Man

Mike may be flying the friendly skies for some other team. - Tom Szczerbowski

With the deadline for setting rosters for the Rule 5 draft upon us, the Jays make some moves.

In preparation for the Rule 5 draft the Jays have added shortstop Ryan Goins and catcher A.J. Jimenez to the 40-man roster.

To make room the Jays removed DFA first baseman Mike McDade, frequent flier Mike McCoy and right-handed pitcher Cory Wade.

The surprise, to me, is Mike McDade. I still habour hopes for him, I think he could be a decent major league bat, and would be a possible pickup for some team in the Rule 5 draft. I guess it might be tough to keep him on a major league roster for the full season, but if I was the Astros or someone like that I'd gladly grab him. I guess McCoy could be useful for someone too, but he wouldn't be a big loss for the Jays.

Jimenez had to get added to the roster, he'd be a good pick up for someone. Goins? I can't see anyone wanting him to take him, but you never know, and he is a decent prospect.

By my count we should be at 39 on the 40-man roster. I wonder if Alex is leaving himself an opening in case there is someone he likes available in the draft? I doubt he would pick someone up, but you never know with Alex.

As noted, I was wrong about the numbers on the 40-man, we are full at 40 so there won't be a Rule 5 pickup.