FanPost

A case for JUSTIN MORNEAU, and possible multi-player deal with the TWINS

The Minnesota Twins are desperately looking for pitching, specifically, starting pitching after back-to-back disastrous campaigns. They are also looking for their eventual permanent replacement at catcher for their hometown hero, Joe Mauer, as they transition him to 1B/DH/outfield.

2013 is a contract year for Justin Morneau, the 2006 MVP from New Westminster, British Columbia. He'll make $14 million in 2013 in his final year of his contract, and will turn 32 in May.

Why trade for him?

The Blue Jays would love to add a left handed power hitter in between Bautista and Encarnacion. Morneau plays excellent 1B defense, is a veteran, and can platoon 1B/DH with EE. I like the fact that it is a contract year and that he's Canadian. The Twins already have Trevor Pouffe whom they're high on, and would be willing to trade JM.

Risks

JM had a bad concussion that needed medical monitoring and severely cut his playing time in 2010-2011. In 2012, after being cleared by medical staff, he played 130 games for the Twins and hit .267/.333/.440 with 19 HRs and 77 RBIs.

Who do we give up?

Jenkins, Happ and Cecil are expendable, imho. One of these with a couple of prospects should do it considering next year the Twins will get nothing back for him.

Multi-player deal possible?

If we double-click on this deal, we may be looking at a multi-player deal involving Glen Perkins for Arencibia or d'Arnaud, Lind and the above Cecil/Happ/Jenkins for Monrneau.

What do you think?