FanPost

Blue Jays 2013 Coaching Staff possibilities

Gibbons_medium
via nationalpostsports.files.wordpress.com
After scouring the internet for a few hours tonight trying to find any information I could on Gibbons managing history & who is available/out there possibilities to be a part of the new look Jays staff moving forward. its extremely exciting to think about a fresh new start & all the possible changes and returnees that could come with it. I am no writer & I am just throwing this together very quickly with not too much knowledge or ability so bare with me & excuse all my errors. Here is how my 2013 Blue Jays coaching staff shakes out.

Acta_medium
via s1.ibtimes.com
Bench Coach: Manny Acta. He doesn't have to be the bench coach as this is likely to be a guy that Gibby really has a history with but I'd love to see Manny on the staff. I love that Acta is a sabermetrics guy & that would be amazing if he could work with gibby showing him a few of those tricks. Hes from dominican republic, can speak 2 languages (will be great for gibby to work with all the spanish players) & will have familiarity with alot of the guys on the team. The experience & skills that Acta bring with him are exceptional, if we can get him it would be a huge pickup for the staff. If we can't I really believe we need a spanish speaking coach on this team, maybe luis rivera, maybe sandy alomar jr is willing to come, maybe somebody else that gibbons knows well.

Ernie_whitt_2008_04_04_medium
via img.spokeo.com
1st base coach: Ernie Whitt. Not sure what role he played on the staff before, but hes clearly gibby's guy. He was there at the start of gibby's tenure & left at the end. Familiarity is always good. Whitt has also continue to coach in the minors & been managing team canada for the world baseball classic's, and most importantly he played for the Jays. Or Marty Pevey, I don't know much about him but he was also part of gibbons staff the entire time he was manager for the jays (if he is part of the staff likely wokamatsu is gone as pevey is also a former catcher & is currently a cubs minor league catching coordinator)

153329081
via cdn3.sbnation.com
3rd base coach (infield instructor): who???? we need to find brian butterfields clone. we really need a defensive focused coach who can do all the modern day shifts and gameplanning the way butterfield did, the stuff he was doing last season was incredible. Maybe we end up with getting both whitt & pevey back to fill this spot. Maybe Wokamatsu? does he have the ability to do this, I have no idea, but I would like to see him back in some fashion on this staff next year after the work hes done with JP & with Darnaud on the way he is a great piece to have in the puzzle.

B77d712a4d3fa95fee9ac6710603_medium
via i.thestar.com
hitting coach: Chad Mottola. I could see murphy staying here, the work Mottola has done in AAA has been fantastic, at least it looks that way (vegas might be having an effect there, but all the players seem to love him & he seems to make tons of improvements with alot of the young players coming up in the system). maybe its better to have a coach like that in AAA so he can fix our young talent when they get sent back down or are on their way up. I just feel like its time for a change, Murphy has had his time, and the work hes done with Bautista and maybe EE has been fantastic, but outside of them and maybe a couple others there have been way too many struggling hitters over his time with the jays, more notably young players have come up with high expectations & actually showed signs of having great ability but just can't be consistant & put it together consistently enough (lind, hill, snider, arencibia, rasmus, escobar all had high expectations I believe with good background in the minors or early performances in the majors but have yet to put it all together for the jays). For all those reasons I say we take a chance & make the change. I would totally support keeping Murphy on & having both these coaches work together if they think this could work, two great hitting minds working together to help solve the problems can only help as long as they can work as a cohesive unit (1 of these 2 coaches could possibly cover 1st/3rd base coach if we decided to keep both).

Dsc02265_medium
via mopupduty.com
Pitching Coach: Brad Arnsberg. I really haven't been overly impressed by the pitching staff over the years during Waltons tenure with the jays. Seems like a great guy, but everything I'm hearing about how great gibby was with the bullpen also came with a sidenote that he delegated that task a ton with Arnsberg. Arnsberg just got fired by the Astros & everything I can read about that says that the players liked him & that he did great work & used video and gameplanning strategy for each individual pitcher. I love any coach that is using modern technology & information to help make the team better. Also, a ton of praise was given to him for what he did with the jays & the astros, with actual results to back up these words.

Walton_bruce640_640_medium
via www.sportsnet.ca
Bullpen Coach: Bruce Walton. As unlikely as it is that Bruce would take this demotion, and it may not even sit well or could cause problems/issues/distractions in the club house. But he was the bp coach when gibbons was last in town, and him/arnsberg/gibbons did a PHENOMENAL job with the pen back then, so hopefully he has a ton of respect for gibby & no other options, then maybe the trio would return to the same positions in 2013. Otherwise.. Pete Walker? no idea here as far as why he'd get the job other then he currently holds the position. Another option is bringing back Pat Hentgen, he is a guy we all love & i especially like since I heard his interview on 590 saying how he loves gibby & when asked if he'd like to be a part of his staff he had to think long & hard on it and couldn't give an answer (but he was here before and left I think because the grind was too much, so I don't want to chance that happening again)

Sal_fasano_medium
via 4.bp.blogspot.com
bonus coach: Sal Fasano. First off look at that sweet sweet stache. He is a guy I'd love to see on this staff in one way or another. Love everything I have ever read or seen about the work hes done in the minors & would love to see him promoted to this staff if theres an opportunity & he fits.

who would you have on this staff, any great names or info I missed, would love to hear other possible hirings & opinions on this.