FanPost

Taxes and our new Blue Jays

Much has been made of the increased tax burden that the players whom were traded from the Marlins will face living 'up here' in Canada. The numbers vary, but the Wall Street Journal is probably as close in estimating the actual numbers as anyone else, with the total number for all 5 players being 8.4 Mil.

Some of the other interesting news came from Carlos Delgado's old agent. He chastised the agents of Buerhle and Reyes for not including a tax clause in their long term deals with Florida, who in hindsight, shouldn't have been trusted when it came to a back loaded long term contract.

Finally, AA has said that the Blue Jays received 'north of 8 million' from the Marlins on the FAN 590 the other day, and it made me wonder: Do you think the Blue Jays considered this tax increase for the players and will be making accommodations in an effort to keep the peace? Could some of the money coming from Florida be earmarked to 'make whole' the contracts of our new Blue Jays?

Personally, my immediate reaction is NO WAY, but the fact that the money was exchanged and two of the new players are on long term deals it made me think perhaps it was something to consider.

Now if we can only find a way to get Buerhle's dog past the pit bull patrol.....