Monday Morning Media Mashup: Toronto Wins A Championship Edition

Kevin Malloy, clubhouse manager (left), Casey Janssen, closer (center), Jeff Ross, equipment manager (right). - Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Baseball reading to go with your Monday morning coffee.

Congratulations to the Toronto Argonauts, who are the 2013 Canadian Football League champions after winning the 100th Grey Cup at home against the Calgary Stampeders by a score of 35-22. A Toronto professional team won a championship! Yay! It's been so long since the Toronto Rock won the National Lacrosse League way back in 2011! Let's see the Blue Jays give Toronto three championships in three years in 2013.

Your Monday morning links to go with your coffee:

Blue Jays Related

2012 GIBBYs - MLB.com (video)
Two Blue Jays were nominated for MLB.com's Greatness in Baseball Yearly Awards (the GIBBYs). They are DH/1B Edwin Encarnacion for the "Breakout Hitter" award and Rajai Davis for the "Must C Play" award. Two Jays fans, a couple celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary at the Rogers Centre, were nominated for the Cut4 Topic of the Year as well. Vote now, vote often! Can't wait for Gibby to win the GIBBYs Manager of the Year award in 2013.

Butterfield: I hoped to manage Blue Jays - Sportsnet.ca
Brian Butterfield was one of the final candidates for the Blue Jays managerial job, but general manager Alex Anthopoulos insisted on hiring someone with Major League managing experience. I understand why Butter would want to move to Boston after missing out on the Toronto job twice. I hope folks in the Rogers Centre give him a nice round of applause after booing the hell out of John Farrell.

Blue Jays GM Alex Anthopoulos explains how David Ortiz, Manny Ramirez influenced his decisions - WEEI
Anthopoulos went on Boston radio to talk about how the Blue Jays-Marlins trade went down, the reason for his secrecy, Melky Cabrera, and John Gibbons. He also compared Jose Bautista and Edwin Encarnacion to David Ortiz and Manny Ramirez. Good listen. Most interesting part is that there were people in the Jays' front office that didn't want to do the Marlins trade.

Adam Lind Unfiltered-ish! - Drunk Jays Fans
Everyone's favourite former Silver Slugger had a fun interview with Jeff Blair on Friday, taking several veiled shots at John Gibbon's coaching staff from his first stint as manager as well as the recently departed John Farrell. Also reveals that Ricky Romero doesn't have the leadership gene in his DNA. Andrew Stoeten picks out the important bits.

Q&A: Bruce Walton, Blue Jays Pitching Coach - FanGraphs Baseball
David Laurila chatted with Blue Jays / free agent pitching coach Bruce Walton back in the summer, talks about Ricky Romero, Henderson Alvarez, Casey Janssen, and Brett Cecil. "Pound down," Walton says.

Tao of Stieb: What to do with d'Arnaud? - Sportsnet.ca
Uncle Tao answers some questions from his TweetBag.

What Should AA Do With JJ (Josh Johnson)? - Jays Journal
Daniel George explores three possible options on what Anthopoulos can do with Josh Johnson. I am one to think that if AA believes in Johnson, then he should jump right in and offer an extension before the season begins. Not that Johnson would necessarily sign.

Wait Til Next Year - Batter's Box Interactive Magazine
Magpie looks at the Orioles and Yankees (well the 1965 version of the Yankees at least).

The Best Hair In Blue Jays History - Mop Up Duty
Callum Hughson reviews the Blue Jays with the best hair. I'd say that Adam Lind's bedhead deserves recognition, no? How about Colby Rasmus' cornrows?

Around The League

MLBPA leader Michael Weiner's good fight against inoperable brain cancer - ESPN
Jerry Crasnick writes a long piece on Michael Weiner's brain tumour diagnosis. He is on chemotherapy but still goes to the office five days a week from 8 to 4.

Cooperstown controversy in 2013 - ESPN
We will be seeing the 2013 Hall of Fame ballots come out this week--no doubt there will be a lot written about the stain of PEDs on this batch of players. Jerry Crasnick points out that there is a chance that Hall of Famers may not turn up for the induction ceremony should any known user get in.

Report: Dodgers, Fox close to multi-billion-dollar TV deal - CBSSports.com
Holy crapola: annual local TV revenues for the Dodgers will rise from $40 million to $280 million. According to Jeff Passan:

Pence the Unusual - Baseball is Magic
Greg Wisniewski writes about Hunter Pence over at Baseball Is Magic.

Chicago White Sox sign OF Dwayne Wise to one-year contract - FOX Sports
Dwayne Wise signs a one-year, $700,000 Major League contract with the White Sox. Not really a big free agent signing I am fascinated with Wise's movement around baseball. Here are his organizations, in chronological order: Reds, Jays, Braves, Tigers, Reds, White Sox, Phillies, Jays, Marlins, Jays, Marlins, Jays, Yankees, White Sox. Between November 11, 2010 and October 4, 2011, he moved between the Jays and Marlins five times.