Casey Janssen And His Clavicle Shave

What they don't teach you in medical school: the Jedi mind trick hand gesture takes a toll on the collar bone. - Abelimages

Let's file clavicle under "places you least expect a man to shave."

Another Toronto Blue Jays pitcher undergoes a secret surgery this offseason. First, it was starter Ricky Romero, this time, it is closer Casey Janssen.

This morning the Blue Jays announced that the 31-year old underwent a procedure to shave down the end of his right clavicle (collarbone) in an effort to relieve discomfort in his acromioclavicular joint (where the shoulder joins the collarbone). The surgery was performed by orthopædic surgeon Dr. Neil ElAttrache from the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopaedic Clinic in Los Angeles on November 16. It is not known whether the Blue Jays received any discounts for being a return customer there. Janssen is expected to be ready for Spring Training 2013.

Janssen, a high-sock wearer, became the Blue Jays closer midseason, compiling a line of 22 saves, 2.54 ERA (168 ERA+), 0.864 WHIP, 9.5 K/9, 6 K/BB, and 1.8 brWAR in 62 games. He had a 19 : 6 shutdown : meltdown ratio this season. We wrote about his role in the bullpen yesterday.

Next time the media speaks with general manager Alex Anthopoulos, they should ask, player-by-player, whether there was any surgical procedures done this offseason.