Hall of Fame Poll: Jeff Bagwell

Jeff Bagwell - Bob Levey

Do you think that Jeff Bagwell should be in the Hall of Fame.

The Hall of Fame ballot has come out and we are going to run a series of polls to see who we would vote into the Hall. I'm going to try to put the polls into a storystream so they don't fill up the whole page.

I'm going to go in alphabetical order, but I'm going to skip Antonio Alfonseca and Sandy Alomar.

Alfonseca was a pretty good reliever, pitched 11 years in the majors, 592 game, all in relief. He had 129 saves, 1134 of them coming in in a 4 year stretch from 1999 to 2002 with the Florida Marlins. He had a career 4.11 ERA, 250 walks, 400 strikeouts in 613 innings. A nice career, but not a Hall of Fame career.

Alomar, who was in the runner for the Jays manager job or, at least, we thought he was in the running for the job. He had a 20 year major league career, but he wasn't the starting catcher most of those years. He only played in 100+ game in 4 of those 20 seasons. He played for 7 different teams, had a .273/.309/.406 line, 112 home runs, 588 RBI. I don't think anyone would call him a Hall of Famer.

Now Jeff Bagwell is a real candidate for the Hall. He played 15 seasons with the Astros, playing first base. He hit 297/.408/.540 with 499 home runs, 1529 RBI, 202 stolen bases in 2150 games.

Jeff played in 4 All-Star games, was NL Rookie of the Year in 1991 and NL MVP in 1994. He has 1 Gold Glove and 3 Silver Slugger Awards. Baseball Reference has his career WAR at 71.6, which would be 47th all-time.

There are suggestions that Bagwell used PEDs. I don't think there is any proof, that he used but he was friends with Ken Caminiti