Hall of Fame Poll: Craig Biggio

Craig Biggio - Bob Levey

Would you vote Craig Biggio into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

The next player in alphabetical order on the Hall of Fame ballot is Tony Batista, but, as much as I have a great deal of fondness for Batista, he doesn't belong in the Hall. Tony played 11 seasons in the majors, 2 and a half of them with the Blue Jays, 1 with the Expos. He hit 251/.299/.453 with 221 home runs, 718 RBI in 1309 games. In 2000 he hit 41 home runs for the Jays and drove in 114 runs. He made 2 All-Star times. And he had the weirdest open stance at the plate. But he doesn't belong in the Hall.

Craig Biggio, on the other, has a pretty strong case. He played 20 seasons, all with the Astros. He hit 281/.363/.433, with 291 home runs, 1175 RBI, 1844 runs scored and 414 stolen bases.

Craig came up as a catcher, played there for 4 seasons, spent 11 seasons at second base, moved to center field for a couple of seasons and then went back to second to finish off his career.

He was a 7 time All-Star, won 4 Gold Gloves and 5 Silver Sluggers. Baseball Reference has him at a 62.1 WAR, putting him 88th all time among position players.