Dan Haren Now A Free Agent After Angels Decline Option

Dan Haren wincing in pain after being hit by an Eric Thames line drive. - Brad White

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim were not able to deal starter Dan Haren after an eleventh-hour trade rejection and announced that they have declined Haren's $15.5 million club option for 2013. The Angels will pay Haren a $3.5 million buyout and Haren is now a free agent.

So the Dan Haren Tradewatch is officially over, and the Dan Haren Free Agent Observation has begun. I was surprised that the Angels chose to decline the option. Even though they would have lost some leverage after picking up Haren's option, I had thought that they would've found some team that would've been interested. Perhaps there was a hidden medical reason why the Angels-Cubs trade fell through. Greg Wisniewski tweets:

Looking back at the events from Friday night, especially the Cubs' sudden nixing of the trade, I am slightly less enthusiastic about signing Haren. Not that the Blue Jays shouldn't try, but I wouldn't necessarily blame them if they gave him a relatively lowball offer. Would you still want Alex Anthopoulos to sign him? How much would you be willing to offer, and for how many years?

Haren_15_medium

On to Anibal Sanchez!