FanPost

My Case For The OF: (Cody Ross)

Our projected 2013 OF looks something like this:

vs RHP
Pos-Name-Bat Handedness-Career UZR/150 at position
LF - Anthony Gose - L - (-6.0)
CF - Colby Rasmus - L - (-2.2)
RF - Jose Bautista - R - (-3.5)

vs LHP
Pos-Name-Bat Handedness-Career UZR/150 at position
LF - Rajai Davis - R - (-12.9)
CF - Colby Rasmus - L - (-2.2)
RF - Jose Bautista - R - (-3.5)

Now, Bautista missed 70 games due to injury. Rasmus showed up for 151 games (11 missed) and seems fairly durable. Still, with a lot of unknowns, the chance of an injury makes it - in my opinion - fairly important to do more than get a platoon partner.

It's completely possible that Gose opens at AAA, which would only further expose Davis. We also have Sierra at AAA, who could take Davis's place. Getting Sierra some at bats vs LHP at the expense of Rasmus, Gose, and Lind, certainly couldn't be a bad thing. But it doesn't solve our outfield problem.

Now, since our depth doesn't seem ready to take over full time, and our current major leaguers leave a lot to be desired, I'm thinking that we should aim above a platoon option. Ideally, this player would be able to benefit from a platoon when we have the luxury, but would be able to be a full time player in the event of injury or poor performance.

Enter: Cody Ross.

MLBTR had a bite up saying that Ross is looking for 3/25. While, I, personally, would structure that 10/10/5, realistically, it'll probably be 8/8/9. That will take him through his age 35 seasons, so there's probably not too much value in trying for team options unless there is a very small/no buy out.

At 8-9mil per, you're basically paying market value for a 2 win (or, league average) player. Cody Ross, from 09-12 has averaged just a bit above 2 WAR/150 games. 07 & 08 were a bit better, and shouldn't be discounted. Still, unless he ages very mildly, he could collapse any season now.

Now, that being said, 8-9mil per year wouldn't sink the Jays. Even if Ross's bat declines to the point that he's not an everyday guy, he's still a reasonable defender (LF/CF/RF: -1,-0.9,+1.6) who has historically annihilated LH pitching to a 141 wRC+ tune (even higher last season).

I see Ross as an affordable everyday player. On the defensive side, he can play all 3 OF positions, giving tonnes of mix&match platoon flexibility throughout the OF. On the offensive side, his bat is good enough to be above league average playing every day, and as he ages, he should still be a dangerous platoon player without being a liability in the field.

His AAV price tag isn't too high, so it must be the years that is causing teams to hesitate. I think we've got space in our OF for him to age at a normal rate while still providing us with exactly what we need, and at a price we probably wont be able to match for similar production.

Proposed 2013 OF

vs RHP
Pos-Name-Bat Handedness-Career UZR/150 at position
LF - Cody Ross - R - (-1.0)
CF - Colby Rasmus - L - (-2.2)
RF - Jose Bautista - R - (-3.5)

vs LHP
Pos-Name-Bat Handedness-Career UZR/150 at position
LF - Rajai Davis - R - (-12.9)
CF - Cody Ross - R - (-0.9)
RF - Jose Bautista - R - (-3/5)