Taking Flight - Blue Jays @ Braves - World Series Game 1 - Oct. 17, 1992 - GameThread

Jack Morris - US PRESSWIRE

Sportsnet is airing every single game of the 1992 World Series this week, starting with Game 1 today at 3 pm local time on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West, and Pacific, and at 7 pm Eastern on Sportsnet One. Check out this post for the full series schedule.

History will be made tonight: the Toronto Blue Jays will become the first team not based in the United States to play in a World Series game. The Blue Jays will be sending 21-game winner Jack Morris (4.04 ERA) to the hill against the 20-8 (2.76 ERA) Tom Glavine. In his postseason career, Glavine is only 1-5 while Morris holds a 7-2 record. Glavine lost it in his last start four days ago, giving up 8 runs (7 earned) on 6 hits against the Pittsburgh Pirates in game 6 of the ALCS NLCS. Does he have what it takes to take on a veteran Morris, whose last World Series start was a 10-inning shutout against these Braves to help the Minnesota Twins take win last year's game 7 and capture the title?

Game 1 is being played at the Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium so the Blue Jays won't get the benefits of the designated hitter. To shuffle things around, young John Olerud will be on the bench to start the game with Joe Carter moving from right down to first base. The frisky 41-year old Dave Winfield will put on a glove and patrol right field, something that he has done in 31 games in the regular season, having made no errors.

Pitching Matchup

Jack Morris
vs
Tom Glavine

Lineup

TORONTO BLUE JAYS ATLANTA BRAVES
Devon White - CF Otis Nixon - CF
Roberto Alomar - 2B Jeff Blauser - SS
Joe Carter - 1B Terry Pendleton - 3B
Dave Winfield - RF David Justice - RF
Candy Maldonado - LF Sid Bream - 1B
Kelly Gruber - 3B Ron Gant - LF
Pat Borders - C Damon Berryhill - C
Manuel Lee - SS Mark Lemke - 2B
Jack Morris - P Tom Glavine - P

GO JAYS GO!

(Please feel free to use GIFs and other images in this GameThread, but still refrain from asking for or posting links to illegal streaming video of this game.)