Looking For Win #1 - Blue Jays @ Braves - World Series Game 2 - Oct. 18, 1992 - GameThread

US PRESSWIRE

Sportsnet is airing every single game of the 1992 World Series this week, broadcasting Game 2 today at 3 pm Eastern / noon Pacific on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West, and Pacific, and at 7 pm Eastern on Sportsnet One. Check out this post for the full series schedule.

The Blue Jays lost a tough pitchers' duel last night, falling 3-1 to the Braves. Both Tom Glavine and Jack Morris made one big mistake--but Morris' was three times bigger unfortunately. Glavine successfully rebounded from his horrible start against the Pirates, and Morris was wild later into the game although he managed to get through a few tough jams. Last night only Joe Carter (who homered), Dave Winfield, and Pat Borders (who had two singles) got on base against Glavine--tonight they look to change their luck against 25-year old All-Star John Smoltz.

Smoltz was 15-12 in the regular season, finishing with a 2.85 ERA in 35 games, averaging 7 IP per start. He will be countered by N.L. All-Star Game teammate David Cone, who arrived in Toronto from the New York Mets for prospect Jeff Kent and Ryan Thompson at the end of August. He was 4-3 with a 2.55 ERA with the Blue Jays after going 13-7 with a 2.88 as a Met. In total he finished the season with 261 strikeouts, leading the Major Leagues. Despite being traded a month before the end of the season, Cone's 214 strikeouts in the National League puts him second in the N.L. after Smoltz, who had 215. In three starts against the Braves this year, Cone went 2-1 with a 2.25 ERA, including a complete game shutout on May 3, during a stretch where he had 4 CG-SHO in 6 starts.

Pitching Matchup

David Cone
vs
John Smoltz

Lineup

TORONTO BLUE JAYS ATLANTA BRAVES
Devon White - CF Otis Nixon - CF
Roberto Alomar - 2B Deion Sanders - LF
Joe Carter - LF Terry Pendleton - 3B
Dave Winfield - RF David Justice - RF
John Olerud - 1B Sid Bream - 1B
Kelly Gruber - 3B Jeff Blauser - SS
Pat Borders - C Damon Berryhill - C
Manuel Lee - SS Mark Lemke - 2B
David Cone - P John Smoltz - P

GO JAYS GO!

(Please feel free to use GIFs and other images in this GameThread, but still refrain from asking for or posting links to illegal streaming video of this game.)