Blue Jays Claim Eli Whiteside, Older Version of Bobby Wilson

Christian Petersen

According to Ken Rosenthal, the Toronto Blue Jays have claimed catcher Eli Whiteside from the New York Yankees. The Yankees claimed him from the San Francisco Giants a month ago.

Whiteside hits right handed. Well maybe "hits" is not the right term; his career slash line is .215/.273/.335. More telling: his slash line last year in 229 games in Fresno of the Pacific Coast League: .224/.296/.303. Eeep. Interesting move since he is pretty much a downgrade from Bobby Wilson, who was non-tendered just last week.

According to River Ave Blues the Yankees tendered him a contract worth $625,000 in the big leagues and $200,000 in the minors.