Blue Jays To Put Carlos Delgado On "Level Of Excellence"

Carlos Delgado and wife. - Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays to honor Carlos Delgado, adding him to their Level Of Excellence.

It is about time, Carlos Delgado is the best offensive player the Jays have ever had,

Sunday July 21, Carlos will be honored with an on-field ceremony, becoming the 10th Blue Jay to be placed on the Level of Excellence. He joins Dave Stieb, George Bell, Joe Carter, Cito Gaston, Tony Fernandez, Pat Gillick, Tom Cheek, Roberto Alomar and Paul Beeston.

The first 20,000 fans will get a commemorative "Carlos Delgado Baseball" and Carlos and guests will be on the field before the game for a ceremony and Carlos will throw out the first pitch. Paul Beeston released this statement:

Not only was he one of the best hitters in club history, he was one of the finest first basemen of his generation. More importantly, Carlos was a tremendous ambassador for the Blue Jays organization and the city of Toronto. His fun-loving attitude was infectious and his tireless work in the community were truly his greatest assets.

Carlos is team leader in many offensive areas, including home runs (336), RBI (1,058), walks (827) and slugging (.556).He was a 2 time All-Star.

I'm very glad to see this, Carlos was always one of my favorites. He was a great player and seemed to have a lot of fun on the field.