FanPost

Edwin Jackson: 1 year deal?

Would Edwin Jackson be a good 1 year pickup? He is an innings guy (been around 200 innings the last 3 years), throws fairly hard (avg 94.5 mph FB) which is important in the AL East where you need to miss bats to succeed, and could be a solid #2-3 starter. His peripherals are in some cases better than Brandon Morrow. A 3.8WAR guy at around $7-8MM/year would seem to be a great pickup for the Jays?

Yes it would eat into the innings of our younger pitchers who might come up, but do you really believe the Jays can win with Henderson Alvarez being asked to throw 180 innings (they will have to cap his innings in Sept) or even Kyle Drabek/Dustin McGowan being counted for a major contribution. Brett Cecil should rebound, but he's probably a solid #4. Jackson is a bargain pick-up if you can get him without making a long-term commitment which would stunt the growth of pitchers such as Drew Hutchinson, Deck McGuire etc who will be ready to contribute in 2013.