FanPost

Bautista at Second in Lineup?

Hello All,

Today I thought myself how to utilize the lineup the best way. Many people complained Thames hitting second, and I fully agree. He has too much K% rate to be in the 2nd. For me, the first and second should have the ability to get on base. Thus, I think the most important stat for the first two hitters should be OBP.

Some traditionalist may think speed should also accounted. But I disagree. What good is speed if he can't get on base. Speed may increase the probability to get on base (think of Ichiro), but if that doesn't translate to OBP, then it is close to worthless.

Hence I looked at the OBP and guess what: Bautista had the best OBP with .447 (surprise!)

Of course many will argue Bautista should be in the cleanup spot, third or fourth, to maximize his power. I understand traditionally the best hitter should be hitting third. However, a club like the Bluejays we may be better off to have the best hitter on second. The reason?: because Bluejays have high home run rate but low average. That means to utilize our power we have to get as many players on base before the power hitters.

If Bautista is in second, even if the first hitter gets out, the team will have two more outs to work when Bautista gets on base.

Of course this will not solve how to utilize Bautista's power. That is why I think the number 9 hitter should be the third or fourth best OBP player. Also having Bautista on second may protect him (less intentional walk?). For me the beginning and the end of lineup should be filled with good OBP players and the middle 3,4,5,6 with the most powerful hitters regardless of average.

So my lineup will be:

1.Escobar 2.Bautista 3.Lind (yes I said it) 4.J.P (Yes I said it again) 5.Lawrie 6.Encarnacion 7.Thames/Snider 8.Rasmus 9.Kelly J.

I know my theory has many holes and probably will not happen. But just a thought.

Bash me away (gently)