Bluebird Banter Top 50 Blue Jays Prospects: 31-35

We're working our way through our prospect list. We started back here 50-46, Hugo put up the 45-41 guys and Woodman posted the 36-40 yesterday. So it's my turn again.

35. Santiago Nessy: Santiago is yet another one of our international free agent signings, from Venezuela, this one from before Alex became GM (signed in 2009 for $750,000). A big guy, 6'2", 230, he hit .306/.347/.425 in his second time in the GCL. One of half a dozen catching prospects we have in the system, you'd think that, with his size, he might end up moving to first base. He just turned 19 in December and the Jays figure there is power to come. You'd like to see a bit more plate discipline too, he doesn't walk more and strikes out more than you would like, but he has time to learn.

34. Chino Vega: Jorge Vega-Rosado (apparently he prefers the shorter version) was our 28th round pick, out of Miami Dade Community College, in 2010. He didn't play like a 28th round pick. He hit .317/.380/.470, with 22 stolen bases in 26 tries for our GCL team. He made the GCL postseason All-Star team and the Jays organizational All-Star team. Vega played both second and short, but we are waist deep in shortstop prospects and he looks like he'd be better as a second baseman. He turned 20 in December. He isn't a big guy, 5'8", 175, but he showed good power for his size.

33. Mitchell Taylor: Mitchell is a LHP, our 7th round pick in 2010, out of high school in Texas. The Jays gave him a $360,000 signing bonus. Unlike many of our picks, he isn't a big guy, 6' and 155 pound, but he can still throw low 90's and has a good curveball. Mitchell pitched in Bluefield last year, with a 4.23 ERA in 55.1 innings, with 61 strikeouts and just 14 walks. You have to like a guy with a 4 to 1 K to BB. And he gets ground outs, 1.54/fly out. He turns 20 in May, you'd have to hope that he'll add some weight/muscle as he moves up the system.

32. Jeremy Gabryszwski: A second round pick in last year's draft, out of high school in Texas, he'll turn 19 in March. Jeremy is another big right-handed pitcher guy, 6'4", 195 lb (we really should have the best pickup basketball team in the minors) and he can throw up to 94 MPH, but he hasn't been consistent, some days he is in the mid-80's, but as he matures it should be more consistent. He also has a changeup and a breaking ball. He has had elbow troubles, so there is some risk, but hopefully that's behind him. He got his feet wet in pro-ball with 5.1 innings between the GCL and Bluefield.

31. Tom Robson: Robson was our 4th (number 139) round pick in last year's draft, the top Canadian selected. Tom turned was just 17 the day of the draft, he's 6'4", 200 lb, can he hit low 90's with the fastball and already has a good curve and a changeup. The Jays gave him a $325,000 signing bonus. Robson pitched on the Canada Junior National team. He hasn't pitched a pro inning yet.