ESPN 'MLB Future Power Rankings': Jays #6

The good news is that Jim Bowden, Keith Law and Buster Olney rank the Jays 6th in the MLB in their Future Power Rankings (insider subscription needed). The bad news? The Yankees, Rays and Red Sox rank ahead of us, in the 2,3 and 5 spots respectively (Rangers are number 1). Apparently the ratings are to "measure how well each team is set up for sustained success over the next five years."

About the Jays they say:

In any other division, Toronto probably would have made the playoffs a couple of times over the past decade, and no team will benefit from the extra wild card as much as the Jays. Of course, they could be in position to win the AL East outright very soon.

Not only do they have arguably baseball's best hitter (Jose Bautista), phenom (Brett Lawrie) and farm system, they have virtually no long-term commitments. They are probably one or two pitchers from winning this division and have the payroll flexibility and trade chips to make it happen. This sleeping giant is almost ready to wake up. -- Buster Olney

Bowden also suggests that 'the next step', for the Jays, should be going after Joey Votto.

I know it doesn't mean much but it is nice to see that others believe the Jays are headed in the right direction.