FanPost

State of the Rogers Centre

In My Opinion:

Going into the 2012 season I always hear “fans” complaining about how the dome has no energy and how it’s hard to enjoy a game when there is no atmosphere. Personally, I agree with this sentiment, I feel when I’m supporting my team I shouldn’t have to be shushed whenever I cheer or boo. Which actually has happened to me in the past. I don’t think this is the fault of the Rogers Centre. I believe this is the fault of the fan base. The Rogers Centre actually can be an amazing place to watch a baseball game. I’m not old enough to be able to have experienced the championship days. Though I did experience the 2009 World Baseball Classic, I watched the Canada VS USA game and it was electrifying, every little play was received with amazing reaction. It was great feel so much energy in a place where I have spent so much time, without ever really getting that feeling. So, I know for the dome to get more filled the Jays will have to start winning more games, but this is a young energetic team that should be exciting to watch. I also don’t think the fans should wait until they start winning. This just might be my hopeless optimism speaking, but if more fans started making their way to games and getting the crowd energized, maybe that’s the first step to winning. From there, it would just be a positive feedback cycle. More fans at games -> Jays play better, and win more games -> less die-hard fans start filling the dome. I know it is not that simple, but I think if people stopped complaining and actually attended a lot of games, it could be a step in the right direction. Maybe the Rogers Centre would even be electrifying again in the near future!

What are your opinions on the state of the Rogers Centre and the atmosphere that comes with it?

-Isaac (@BlueJays1996)