FanShot

Ottawa stadium "upgrading" to artificial turf?

Ottawa City Council has approved an upgrade of the city's baseball season in a key step towards making a Jays AA affiliate a reality in 2013. Great news, but I'm confused about one bit: "plus $3 million to bring the stadium up to current minor league standards by installing artificial turf and a batting tunnel and paying for installation of the scoreboard". With almost every MLB team having ditched artificial turf for real grass, with the Jays openly wishing they could, why is artificial turf a "minor league standard"? Ottawa's baseball stadium currently has a grass field, so why would anyone want to change it to artificial turf? Is artificial turf really the norm in the minor leagues? And if so, with most teams playing in single-purpose baseball parks, why use turf?