FanPost

Dispelling the Joey Votto myth...

Recently Joey Votto was asked about signing for the Blue Jays when he hits FA and apparently he was less then enthusiastic about the prospects. After reading this interview over a year ago, it seemed to me then as it does now that playing for the Blue Jays would be the last thing Joey Votto would want. He doesn't like publicity, doesn't seek public attention and would seem to shy away from the type of superstar attention that he would receive as a highly talented Canadian playing on the Blue Jays. This is a guy who turned down the chance to be on the cover of MLB 2011: The Show and avoids any kind of publicity. I don't think that he has any desire to play for the Blue Jays and will end up signing with a team like the Texas Rangers or resigning with Cincy where he can avoid the limelight. I think Blue Jays fans should start accepting the fact that while we all want Joey Votto, Joey Votto doesn't want us. Seeing the recent outrage at the Blue Jays by some fans over their refusal to sign Prince to an equally outrageous decade long contract, i fear that some fans heads are going to explode when Joey Votto doesn't sign with the Blue Jays in 2013. There is already talk that it will be the Blue Jays policy of not signing free agents to ridiculously long contracts will ruin our chances of signing Votto. Joey Votto won't be playing for the Blue Jays in 2013 because he doesn't want to play for the Blue Jays. Prepare yourselves for that fact now so it doesn't hurt so bad then...