Make Your Predictions: Travis Snider

Each year I think, 'this is the year the Jays are going to give Travis Snider 500 at bats so we can see what he can do without the sword of Damocles hanging over his hear' and every season they don't do it. Now I figure it is this year or never.

The guy is just 24 years old, it seems like he should be older because we've been talking about him forever, so there is still lots of time for him to have the career we were hoping he'd have, but if it is going to be with the Jays, it is going to have to start happening this year.

What I'd like is for him to win the starter's job out of spring training and for the Jays to tell him 'relax, the job is your's, we aren't going to worry about your numbers until we get 300 at bats in. Just go out and have fun'. That's what I'd like. In reality , it hasn't happened yet and I don't expect it to happen now. I really hoped that Farrell would be the one to have patience with him.

I've always thought that teams should be patient. Fans? We are impatient by nature, but teams should be able to take the long view. I mean, what was gained by giving Corey Patterson 317 at bats to show that he was he was, well, Corey Patterson. Corey didn't get on base any better than Travis (even with the lousy season Travis was having), he didn't slug any better and he played the outfield like someone that didn't want to be there.

Year Age G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+
2008 20 24 80 73 9 22 6 0 2 13 0 0 5 23 .301 .338 .466 .803 113
2009 21 77 276 241 34 58 14 1 9 29 1 1 29 78 .241 .328 .419 .748 96
2010 22 82 319 298 36 76 20 0 14 32 6 3 21 79 .255 .304 .463 .767 105
2011 23 49 202 187 23 42 14 0 3 30 9 3 11 56 .225 .269 .348 .616 65
4 Seasons 232 877 799 102 198 54 1 28 104 16 7 66 236 .248 .307 .423 .730 94
Generated 2/6/2012.

What is Travis going to do? Bill James has him hitting .271/.329/.452 in 239 plate appearances with 8 home runs and 33 RBI, with 9 steals. I'd like to think that if he does hit that well, he'll see more playing time than that.

I have no idea what he'll do, I'd like him to get 500 at bats, but I doubt that will happen. Let's guess 325 at bats, batting .260/.335/.460 with 12 homers and 40 RBI.