Bluebird Links - Position Rankings and Omar Vizquel Day

March 2, 2012; Dunedin, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Omar Vizquel (17) poses for a portrait during photo day at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Derick E. Hingle-US PRESSWIRE

Fangraphs has wrapped up their positional ranking series, covering relievers here. I thought I'd take a look at how the Jays have fared, position by position, compared to the other AL East Teams. An archive of all of the posts can by found here.

Do those numbers make sense? Any stand-outs? Onto the links.

Game recaps of yesterday's win over the O's by Jeff Blair, Griffin, Wilner and Jim Hawkins (mlb.com).

Apparently half of the main stream media decided to write about Omar Vizquel yesterday. Take a look at these articles by Blair, Elliott, Jim Hawkins and Griffin if you want.

Lots more after the jump!

JAYS LINKS

Debunking the latest Blue Jays’ rumour
Gregor Chisholm picks apart this persistent Floyd rumor.

Projecting Performance: Starting Rotation
House of the Bluebird breaks down the Jays starting rotation and has this to say about Cecil:

Initially I and what seems like many others thought Cecil would simply return with some new found form after the whole weight loss story, but after some number crunching it showed that supposedly Cecil was pretty lucky in 2011 and still wasn't very good. That is never a good combination.

I'm wondering how long it is until Cecil is either traded, or moved to the bullpen ala Casey Janssen and Jesse Litsch. Thoughts?

Hello, Thomas.
Bob Elliott stops by the final resting place of Tom Cheek to update a long lost friend.

Moving a young vetern over for an unproven prospect
Tango with some thoughts about moving Escobar to 2B for the arrival of Hech.

Top 10 Blue Jays Prospects under 20 to Watch In 2012
This is a great list of 10 players that could be fun to watch. Hat tip to the Drunks for another blog in my reader.

Blue Jays’ Encarnacion hopes wrist injury behind him

All Edwin Encarnacion wants is an injury free season to show what he can do.

I know we see 973 of these articles every spring, but I would love to see Edwin put up some big numbers this year. What is everyone expecting from him this year?

For Blue Jays’ Brett Lawrie, facing Team Canada like a family reunion
Griffin writes about the Jays second annual spring exhibition game against Canada’s junior national team.

30 Jays in 30 Days - Don't Get Attached to Ben Francisco
The Tao of Stieb doesn't have high hopes for Francisco.

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Debate Grows Over How to Protect Young Pitching Arms
Recent studies seem to show that, despite conventional wisdom, curveballs pose no greater danger to young pitching arms than other pitches.

Pirates putting pieces in place to 'finish'

Twenty years of suckiness might finally be paying off. This should be an exciting team to watch over the next few years and it will be hard not to root for them to actually have a winning season. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette follows Gerrit Cole since his number one overall selection last year. Hopefully he works out better than their last two number one overall pitchers (Bryan Bullington and Kris Benson).

2012 Division Primer: The National League East
Getting Blanked starts a series detailing the team-by-team facts of each division. The NL east could be a great division this year! Also, poor Mets.

Top 100 Prospects for 2012
In case you were living under a rock yesterday 7 Jays make the FanGraphs top 100 prospects list.

Oliver's World Series that got away
Oliver recalls pitching in that crazy Game 6 last fall (remember, where the Rangers were 1 out from winning the WS twice).

Can Cespedes save the A's?
After his debut homerrun, SI asks the question. Seems a little...early maybe.