Alex Anthopoulos on Jeff Blair's Show

Mar 4, 2012; Bradenton, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays left fielder Travis Snider (45) slides under the throw to Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez (24) during the first inning at McKechnie Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-US PRESSWIRE

Alex didn't say anything all that new but there were a few little bits that were interesting:

  • The Jays aren't looking for another starter. Uh huh. He says they aren't looking for anyone that would take a job from one of the 5 expected starters. Nor are the likely to sign any of the free agents that are still out there.
  • He said that Brett Cecil has looked very good and that he has one of the best changeups, for a left-hander, in all the MLB.
  • Alex said that Omar Viquel has shown him that Omar can play short. It really sounds like the Jays have decided that Vizquel will be the one that makes the team out of the three battling for the backup infielder job.
  • He made it sound like there is almost no way that Travis Snider can win the LF job from Eric Thames. I don't know. I know Thames was ok last year, but he didn't have such a great season that he deserves the spot no matter what. I guess we'll see.
  • Alex also talked about sending Hechavarria down, saying that the three in the battle for the backup job need the innings and that Hech will be playing short in Vegas but will get some time at second in case there is an injury. He also said that Adeiny wouldn't automatically be the call up, if one is needed. Alex said that he does need to hit to get the call up. Also, Adeiny has the chance to be a "Gold Glove SS"