The Battle For Left Field: Eric Thames and Travis Snider

Mar 4, 2012; Bradenton, FL, USA; Toronto Blue Jays left fielder Travis Snider (45) slides under the throw to Pittsburgh Pirates third baseman Pedro Alvarez (24) during the first inning at McKechnie Field. Mandatory Credit: Jerome Miron-US PRESSWIRE

We took a look at how the left field battle was going a week ago, so it is time to take another look.

Eric Thames: In the past week Thames has had 13 at bats, 5 hits, 2 doubles, 3 RBI, 2 walks, 3 strikeouts and a steal. Keith Law tells us that his 2 hits from Yesterday's game were a bit suspect:

The official scorer apparently felt like giving out hits as gifts on Thursday, as Eric Thames reached twice on botched plays in the outfield.

In total Thames is hitting .320/.370/.520, with a homer, a steal and 5 RBI. In the field, he's made 5 put outs, no errors. He did bobble a ball on a line single but it isn't cost a base.

Travis Snider: In the past week Travis has had 15 at bats, 6 hits, the homer today, 2 doubles, 2 walks, 7 RBI. In total Snider is hitting .333/.375/.833 with 4 home runs, 13 RBI and 1 steal. He is leading the team in homers, RBI and strikeouts with 10. He is second, behind Brett Lawrie, in slugging average and OPS. On defense, he's made 10 put outs and has 3 assists (all in that first week).

I'll note that Edwin Encarnacion hit 2 home runs, while playing LF, this past week. Maybe he's the one winning the LF battle.

Fangraphs took a look at the battle today. I'm with them, I don't see why Francisco is guaranteed a job either. I know the Jays would like both to hit full time, but I don't see why both couldn't get a good number of at bats in and it might make for a better team. Francisco isn't very valuable.