Quick Recap of Split Squad Games of March 17

So the win strike comes to an end. Just because I got to watch, we lose both games.

Blue Jays 3 Braves 5

Pitchers:

  • Hutchison: Looked nice and smooth. 3 innings, 3 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned, 1 k. Made an error on a pick off attempt at 2nd. Threw it into CF.
  • McGuire: 3 innings, 5 hits, 2 earned, 3 k, home run. Some hard hit balls off him. Some nice pitches too. Gose helped him out with a great catch in the outfield. And had a hard grounder turned into a DP.
  • Chavez: 1 inning, 2 hits, 1 earned.
  • Coello: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 k.

Batters:

  • Davis: 0 for 3, RBI. .250. Nice catch at the outfield wall too.
  • Snider: 0 for 2, walk, 2 k. Nice walk, then he was caught stealing.
  • d'Arnaud: 0 for 3, k. .143. Looked fine behind the plate.
  • Jimenez: 1 for 1, double. Made a great throw to catch Uggla stealing, placed it perfect, low right by the base.
  • Cooper: 1 for 4, RBI. .238.
  • McDade: 1 for 3, walk, 2. .143. Looks in great shape, nice looking swing too.
  • Valbuena: 1 for 4, double, RBI. .238.
  • Diaz: 1 for 3, k. .455.
  • Woodward: 0 for 4, 3 k. .100.
  • Gose: 1 for 3, triple. Wow, is he fast. Flew around the bases.

Game against the Phillies recapped after the jump.

Blue Jays 3 Phillies 4 (10 innings

Batters:

  • Johnson: 2 for 3, double, 269.
  • Vizquel: 2 for 3. .412.
  • Kellen Sweeney: 1 for 2, k. Made an error on a over throw from third, but also made a nice play to start a DP.
  • Encarnacion: 0 for 3, 2 k. .267. Looked awkward on a pickoff attempt from the catcher, looked to make the tag, but the runner broke for second. Was safe at second easy, not sure EE could have got him even if he threw straight to second.
  • Rasmus: 0 for 4, walk, steal. .192.
  • Arencibia: 2 for 5, home run, steal of third. Was the front guy on a double steal. I think it was to be a hit and run, but Mathis swing and missed on the pitch. Still was safe easy.
  • Thames: 2 for 4, RBI. Double. .345. Hit the double very high and it off the LF wall, traveled further than I thought it would. Didn't show much range on a pop fly single hit in front of him. I thought he'd get it easy.
  • Francisco: 1 for 4, steal (the back end of the double steal. .190.
  • Mathis: 0 for 4, 2 k. .111.
  • Bocock: 1 for 3, homer, walk. I thought he won us the game, but we gave the run right back.

Pitchers:

  • Morrow: 3.1 innings, 5 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk, 4 k, home run. The home run was to the first hitter of the game. Wilner tweeted that Morrow was happy with his curve and change but not happy with fastball control. 1.08 ERA
  • Perez: 2.2 innings, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 k. 0 ERA. Looked really good.
  • VanderHurk: 1.1, 1 hit, 1 earned, 3 walks. 9.95 ERA. Not impressive in the least. 9.95. Gets credited with a blown save.
  • Gil: 1.2, 1 hit, 1 homer, 1 earned. 4.76. Blown Save.
  • Korecky: 0.1, 2 hits, 1 earned.. Loss.

The losses drop us to 12-4 on the spring.

Tomorrow's game, against the Phillies, in Dunedin, is on Sportsnet. Nice to watch baseball again.