FanShot

Fidlin on Morrow

Interesting write-up on what Morrow is planning doing differently - primarily throwing more curveballs to keep hitters on balance on his harder stuff (slider and four seamer). Somewhat curiously, no mention of the cutter, though it would similarly be a harder pitch (between fastball and slider). After looking through the pitchf/x data last month for 2010-11, I noticed that he had thrown a lot less curveballs and change-ups last year, and my speculation was that they were inconsistent offerings in 2010 that he had trouble consistently controlling. So, his BB rate went down in 2011, but he had more trouble on batted balls (especially against lefties against whom the slider is less effective anyway), giving up more solid contact such as LDs because hitters could dial in the harder stuff.