FanPost

It has arrived. SI Baseball Preview

As an SI magazine subscriber, there are two days of the year that are filled with anticipation. I wait by the mailbox like a young child waiting at the base of the chimney for Santa Claus. The first day of the year has already passed, it is when a gloomy February day is brightened by the arrival of the SI swimsuit issue. This year though, the second day has been even more anticipated for me, and that is saying a lot. It is the day of the SI Baseball preview issue. Now I am not going to quote or excerpt anything, because I think that gets me in trouble, what I want to say is for all of you to buy it!

Upon its arrival the first thing I do every year is flip to the AL East section and look for the jays to have some sort of surprise prediction and make the playoffs. This year, alas, was no different than previous ones, SI predicts a 4th place finish with 85 wins. This was discouraging until I read on. Right out of the gate in the first sections of the baseball preview the topic of interest is the Blue Jays. The article raves about their 'on the cusp' nature and the potential upside the team has. None of this is new to us here at BBB, but I think it is new to the populous down here south of the border (I live in Louisiana). They are starting to take notice. Most of the Al East preview is about the upstart Blue Jays, there is the usual, "Ya the Yankees are awesome, their pitching is better" and "Rays are gonna shut down everyone " and "Boston has great offense and questions in pitching" and "Baltimore has cool orange uniforms", but those are mere blurbs in an otherwise ode to "Canada's" team. A few tidbits of particular interest is the talk of Brandon Morrow and Colby Rasmus, both of whom are predicted to have great years, and a comparison of Lawrie to Ryan Braun (hopefully minus the bogus pee tests).

So I will reiterate. Go buy this issue! Its great to finally see the American media starting to notice our cute little Blue Jays, who are no longer so much a cute little story and an "also ran", but a hungry bunch of young players ready to take down the evil empires that be.