Quick Recap: Old Fashioned Blowout! Jays Crush Braves 9-0 In Dunedin

Jays fans enjoying Spring Training at Florida Exchange Stadium in Dunedin, FL. Photo credit: Minor Leaguer/TFSML's awesome camera.

Blue Jays 9, Braves 0

Your Toronto Blue Jays are now 18-4 (.818) in Spring Training, coupled with a Tigers (14-4) loss, the Jays are now in first place in baseball. But it's just the spring--the A's being in 3rd place (14-5) should be a clue that we should be taking these records with a grain of salt. Here are some more numbers from the game today:

61

The number of pitches starter Henderson Alvarez needed to get through 5.0 innings of one-hit shutout baseball. Alvarez struck out 4 and walked none. In 11 innings pitched in the Grapefruit season so far, Alvarez has only allowed 2 earned runs.

7

Total bases for Adam Lind in 4 plate appearances, hitting a homer, a triple, and getting a walk, finishing with 4 RBI. Lind only had 9 total bases in 11 previous games this Spring Training.

10

The number of hits the Jays had through the first 4 innings off of the Braves' Randall Delgado. The Jays only managed 1 more hit after that.

4

The number of baserunners the Jays' bullpen allowed in 4 innings. The Braves' bullpen also held the Jays to 4 baserunners.

23

The number of players used by the Jays in this game. The Braves used 21.

Individual stats after the jump.

Pitchers:

  • Henderson Alvarez: 5.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 K, 0 BB. Worked very efficiently, facing only one batter over the minimum. Gets a Jays of the Day! and the Minor Leaguer MVP of the Game Award.
  • Sergio Santos: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 K, 1 BB.
  • Darren Oliver: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 K, 1 BB.
  • Casey Janssen: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 K, 0 BB.
  • Francisco Cordero: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 K, 0 BB.

Great numbers all around, but one has to remember that the Braves are coming from Lake Buena Vista, so only four regulars (Pastornicky, Freeman, Prado, Heyward) traveled with the team.

Hitters:

Starting lineup:

  1. Kelly Johnson: 1-3, 2B, 3 RBI, 1 K, 1 BB. Johnson had a big hit with a 3-run line drive double in the bottom of the 4th. Also got dinged with an error on the field.
  2. Yunel Escobar: 1-3, 2 K, 1 BB.
  3. Jose Bautista: 1-4, 2B, 1 RBI.
  4. Adam Lind: 2-3, 3B, HR, 4 RBI, 1 BB. Lind joins Henderson Alvarez as Jays of the Day! Lind had a 3-run homer in the 3rd after a long at bat and then a RBI triple in the 4th after Matt Diaz seemed to have lost the ball coming off the bat.
  5. Eric Thames: 2-3, 2B, 1 RBI, 1 K. Thames' 15 hits in the spring leads the ballclub.
  6. Colby Rasmus: 1-4, 1 K.
  7. J.P. Arencibia: 1-4.
  8. Travis Snider: 1-3, 2 K. Snider's now has 16 strike outs in the spring, leading the Jays.
  9. Omar Vizquel: 2-4, 1 K. Vizquel is now batting .429/.448/.500 after his two singles today.

Luis Valbuena, Jonathan Diaz, Marcus Knecht, David Cooper, Ricardo Nanita, Mike McCoy, Yan Gomes, Jeff Mathis, and Chris Woodward all came off the bench, but only Mathis got on base (on a walk). Braves starter Randall Delgado is not having a great spring, now possessing a 7.94 ERA, 1.88 WHIP, .301 opAVG, 3 HR, and 18 Ks on 10 BB. Delgado has pretty strong left/right splits: holding RHB to a .233 average while LHB hits .349 off of him. Needless to say, it's a small sample size, but it sure benefited Johnson and Lind.

A healthy Brett Lawrie and the Blue Jays will be hosting the Red Sox at Florida Auto Exchange Stadium in Dunedin tomorrow afternoon at 1 pm. The game will be broadcast live on MLB.TV and Sportsnet 590 the Fan. Aaron Laffey, Jason Frasor, Carlos Villanueva, and Luis Perez are scheduled to pitch. Bobby Valentine counters with Daniel Bard, who may be pitching for a spot in the starting rotation. We'll have a game thread up here, all ready for you to join in.