Dustin McGowan Contract Extension

The Jays have signed Dustin McGowan to a 2 year deal at $1.5 million a year, with a team option for the 2015 season for $4 million. He will make a donation to the Jays Care Foundation.

It seems like a bit of a risk, since he only threw 21 innings last year, but the team must like what he has shown this spring. I'm not sure I'd put up $3 million on the little we know, so far, but they are smarter than me.

I hope Dustin has a great 2012 and makes this look like a great signing. It's a bit of a risk, but they have been doing that with some of their young players, sometimes it works (Yunel Escobar) and sometimes it doesn't (Adam Lind). In the long run, it is worth trying. Keeps costs down, so that they could spend on other players if they like. With McGowan's injury history, it is more of a risk, but they think he will do well. If he is a decent starter for the next 3 years, that's a very small amount to pay.

Congratulations Dustin. Have a great season.

Let's have a poll: