FanPost

The Model of the Rays

I write this because I'm sick of hearing about how well the Rays built their organization, and how every organization should strive for their example. (and I realize this is more of a Rays thread than a Jays one, but I write it in the context of the "model" of the Rays, rather than actually talking about the Rays themselves) Yes, they've had four fantastic years now.

But consider!

BJ Upton: 2nd overall pick

Evan Longoria: 3rd overall

David Price: 1st overall

Delmon Young: 1st overall (flipped for Matt Garza and Jason Bartlett)

Matt Garza of course was then flipped last year for a great package, a big reason for their awesome minor league system.

Now I'm not saying they haven't been smart with their resources, because they have. The Matt Moore extension, the Garza trade, the Zobrist trade were good moves...the acquisitions of guys like Carlos Pena and Kyle Farnsworth worked out really well. They've raised some very good pitching over the last few years...Hellickson, Kazmir, Shields, Moore, etc.

I'm just saying...pick a sport and pick a team. Give that team 8 top-4 picks in 9 years, including 4 at first overall....What the Rays have done turning themselves into a winner isn't THAT remarkable. Imagine what the Red Sox, Athletics, Jays, Giants...anybody could have done with that kind of draft power. In fact, I'd rather just about anything than to watch my team lose horribly for 10 years.

*Gets off the soap box*