Quick Recap: Jays Beat Red Sox

No pictures of today's game, so here is a shot of Jose from Tuesday. Even though it is a photo, you can actually see his beard growing. Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays 3 Red Sox 2

Now, logically, I know that spring training wins mean little. Especially today's win, considering most of our regulars stayed home. Even Henderson Alvarez didn't travel with the Jays, instead pitching in a minor league game (and doing well, 7 innings, 2 hits, 0 walk, 0 runs, 4 k). But, when I look at a 22-4 record, the little voice in the back of my says that an .846 winning percentage must mean something.

If it does mean anything, it is that we have been lucky and that our pitching has done well, even when we've been hiding our starting pitchers from the other AL East teams.

Today's Pitching:

  • Drew Hutchison: 4 innings, 4 hits, 1 earned, 1 walk, 2 k. A pretty good job, considering he was facing most of the Red Sox regulars and, with it getting to the end of spring, the batters should have their timing down. 3.00 ERA this spring.
  • Luis Perez: 2 innings, 1 hit, 1 earned, 1 walk, 2 k, home run. 0.68. His first earned run of the spring.
  • Andrew Carpenter: 1 inning, 1 hit, 1 walk. 1.08.
  • Jim Hoey: 1 clean inning. 0 ERA. He's been pretty impressive this spring.
  • Robert Coello: 1 inning, 1 hit, 3 k. 2.57.

Bats:

  • Anthony Gose: 0 for 3, walk, 4 stolen bases, including 3 in one inning, with a steal of home, when the catcher threw the ball back to the pitcher, scoring the game winning run. If you hadn't heard, the guy is fast. .233.
  • Rajai Davis: 0 for 1, 2 walks, 1 steal. Just 1 steal, amateur. .289.
  • Eric Thames: 1 for 3, 2 RBI, k. .321.
  • Yan Gomes: 1 for 4, k. .382. No doubles today, slacker.
  • Luis Valbuena: 0 for 3, k. .162.
  • Jeff Mathis: 1 for 3. .172.
  • Ricardo Nanita: 1 for 3. .333.
  • Jonathan Diaz: 1 for 3, 2 k. .429.
  • Chris Woodward: 0 for 3. .111.

Only 6 hits for the Jays and no extra base hits.

Tomorrow the Jays play the Twins in Dunedin. I read that the Twins had the best spring record, last year, and then lost 99 games in the real season. There is a massive bucket of ice water for you. (looked it up, actually the Royal had the best record last spring, 20-10, Twins were 20-12, no that doesn't makes me feel better).Tomorrow's game doesn't look to be on MLB TV or Audio.