Ace vs. Ace GameThread: Jays @ Phillies

Ricky Romero has not allowed a single run in 9 innings pitched in official Grapefruit League games. (Photo by Al Messerschmidt/Getty Images)

We're in for a treat today. Too bad Tom had to miss this game--he's probably having his hair cut or permed or something.

Your Toronto Blue Jays are driving 15 minutes down Sunset Point to visit the Philadelphia Phillies at Bright House Field in Clearwater to play their 4th last Spring Training game. Starting for the visiting Blue Jays will be ace Ricky Romero, and opposing him will be Phillies' ace Roy Halladay. The former Jays ace and his heir have never faced each other in the regular season so this is round one to what I hope would be a series of duels between Halladay and Romero, all the way to game one of the World Series one day soon.

Romero is expected to throw 5 innings today in his last Grapefruit League start. Scheduled to follow are Carlos Villanueva and Jason Frasor. Halladay will be followed by Raul Valdes and David Herndon, who are both fighting to get onto the Phillies' bullpen.

The Jays' lineup against Halladay:

  1. Yunel Escobar SS
  2. Kelly Johnson 2B
  3. Jose Bautista RF
  4. Edwin Encarnacion 1B
  5. Eric Thames LF
  6. Brett Lawrie 3B
  7. J.P. Arencibia C
  8. Colby Rasmus CF
  9. Jeff Mathis DH

The Phillies will counter with:

  1. Shane Victorino CF
  2. Placido Polanco 3B
  3. Jimmy Rollins DH
  4. Hunter Pence CF
  5. Ty Wigginton 1B
  6. John Mayberry Jr. LF
  7. Hector Luna 2B
  8. Carlos Ruiz C
  9. Freddie Galvis SS

The game begins at 1:05 pm EST and is broadcast on Sportsnet Radio the Fan 590, with the pre-game show starting at 12:30 pm. Mike Wilner will have manager John Farrell, Yankees switch pitcher Pat Venditte, and 1993 World Series MVP Paul Molitor for his pre-game show, so you'd probably want to tune in early for that. If you have MLB.TV: first, I'm jealous, and second, you can watch this game online!

Just another friendly reminder: please do not request, or post any links to illegal streams (audio and video). We haven't had a problem this spring, so let's try to keep it that way. Thanks!