Hall of the Very Good

If you have been on Beyond the Boxscore in the last little while, you will have seen that they are putting together a Hall of the Very Good. If you haven't, here is a little blurb about it.

The Hall of Very Good is an ebook meant to celebrate the careers of those who are not celebrated. It's not a book meant to reopen arguments about who does and does not deserve Hall of Fame enshrinement; rather, it's meant to remember those who, failing entrance into Cooperstown, will unfairly be lost to history. It's for the players we grew up rooting for, the ones whose best years led to flags and memories that will fly together forever. Players like Bret Saberhagen, Will Clark, Dwight Evans, Tim Salmon, Wilbur Wood, Orel Hershiser, and literally hundreds of others.

This is not a numbers-driven project (although our contributors lean analytical in their views). Our plan isn't to be overbearing with numbers and spreadsheets to convince you that these players are worth remembering. What we want to do, instead, is accomplish that same task through stories. Think of your favorite players growing up: they have their moments, games, seasons, quirks, personalities, and legends worth remembering and sharing. Now, combine the best of everyone's forgotten favorites, and you've got a Hall of Very Good. Ask the people who have those memories and love for these players to write essays about them, and you have a book on the same topic.

Now there are few Blue Jays that, I hope, will make their list. Dave Stieb for sure. Perhaps John Olerud, Tony Fernandez?

They are looking to raise some money for the project. If you would like to help them out, just a $10 donation will get you a copy of the book they are putting together. The web site to contribute is here, check it out.