FanPost

I don't know if FanGraphs covers it but, how important is "Chemistry" and "Character" for a team?

Hi all,

Long time since I've tried to write a meaningful FP, but i'm going to try. I browse BBB every day, hoping for something new (definition of insanity I believe), and I'm always pleasantly surprised at how much the community has grown since I started browsing two seasons ago, especially how entertaining the comment section has been with the .GIF parties, the witty one liners, and the hilariously great puns (upvotes to you all). Having thought about all of that, I start to think we really have a great community here at BBB and I enjoy browsing this site, reaidng the shots, posts and comments and participating in the game threads. I like it, and I feel better and more encouraged to contribute to such a community.

Having said that, and getting back to the crux of my question, how does chemistry, character, and a general fondness of each other affect a team's ability to perform and succeed? If the guys on the infield like each other and respect each other's ability, does that make it easier for them to want to make the diving stab and throw knowing that Adam Lind will field it or that if Colby is running it down, it's going to get caught?

This would be the first team that I'm going to observe this season in a while that has a nucleus of players of similar age and ability with a veteran that while slightly older, still considers himself one of the younger guys? Yes, you can have teams where the pitchers hate the catchers, and the infielders all despise each other, the latin guys only hang out with the latin guys etc., but this group looks like they have fun playing and working together.

Throw in a guy like Sergio Santos who has a prior relationship with Ricky and JPA, and combine that with a group of guys who are young and hungry and for the most part can speak spanish (ricky, jpa, AA) who can bridge the gap with players like Yunel and Edwin. Does the fact that these guys are closer and seem to like each other make them want to compete harder, one up each other? Maybe they put less pressure on themselves that they won't be judged as harshly by their peers and can gain a certain confidence to play the game better?

Sorry for the ill-written post, but I'd like to hear your thoughts on this and if there is any documented evidence of such a thing.