The Battle For Left Field: Thames and Snider

A very thoughtful looking Eric Thames. (Photo by Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images)

I thought we would take a look look at the battle for left field each Friday of spring training. See how things have gone for Eric Thames and Travis Snider over the past week.

Eric Thames: He has been in 5 games and has had 12 at bats, 3 hits, 1 home run, no walks, 2 RBI, 2 strikeouts. He has a .250/.250/.500 line. Of course, it is a very small sample size. In the field, not much to say yet, he's made 3 putouts. He hit the home run in his first game. Alex has said how they are swinging the bat means more than what their numbers are and we haven't seen that yet. We need some first hand reports.

Travis Snider: Travis has played in 5 games as well, with 4 hits in 15 at bats, 1 double, 2 home runs, 6 RBI, no walks, 3 strikeouts and 1 stolen base. He has a .267/.267/.733 line. On defense, he's made 6 put outs and has thrown 3 runners out on the bases. The three assists is pretty amazing in just 26 innings. That won't happen again.

It is early going yet, but I'm going to put a poll up each Friday to see how people's opinions change as spring training goes along.