FanPost

Strong Outings for Pitching Prospects

In Lansing, the Lugnuts sent Noah Syndergaard and Anthony DeSciafani to the hill for their usual 3 innings a piece.

Noah Syndergaard's line for the night:

3.0 IP, 2 H, 1 R (0 ER), 2 BB, 2 SO, 0, HR, 6:1 GO:AO

The Dayton Dragons only managed 1 unearned run against the big Texan flamethrower after an errant pickoff attempt allowed one of his walks to move to third after a SB and eventually score on a ground out. The SO:BB wasn't quite as sparkling as his last outing but he got 6:1 GOs to AOs which is hard to complain about. He's held opponents to a .182 BA against thus far in his first two games and there is no reason to believe he won't be facing stiffer competition again before too long.

Anthony DeSciafani (BBB #43):

3.0 IP, 3 H, 1 R (0 ER), 1 BB, 3 SO, 0 HR, 4:1 GO:AO

DeSciafani gave up two singles in the 1st inning and a SB which allowed the Dragons to score their only run against the talented 6th rounder. Scalafani's ERA sits at a tidy 1.50 so far in his professional debut with the Lugnuts and could move up the prospect rankings in he can harness some of the potential scouts have raved about in his stuff.

The best for last out of Dunedin after the Jump:

In Dunedin, 2011 3rd-Rounder John Stilson continues dominating opposing hitters in the Florida State League.

Stilson's line vs. the Daytona Cubs:

4.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 SO, 0 HR, 5:1 GO:AO

Keith Law dashed the hopes of a Blue Jay fan on twitter after the game saying that while Jays fans should be excited about Stilson, they should be so only for his future as a reliever. I'd like to believe that if the Blue Jays are willing to rehab Dustin McGowan for a 1/3 of a decade through two shoulder surgeries, they would be willing to try out Stilson who as a flame-throwing no-doubt 1st rounder that dropped down to the 3rd round in the draft because of a partially torn labrum that did not require surgery and was therefore not nearly as hurt as Dustin (in my uneducated medical opinion).

Stilson has still not allowed a run in his 7 IP over 2 appearances while holding opponents to a .100 BA against. By the numbers, not a bad start to a professional career either for the impressive Texan right-hander who regularly hit 99 mph on his fastball before his injury. I haven't seen any scouts' reports on his velocity/stuff this year but he's reported to be healthy and it appears that he's being stretched out to serve in a starter's role after being Texas A & M's closer until his injury.

There weren't too many other exciting prospects/performances on the farm last night but I'll do with three more dominant performances from three of our top 50 prospects. Looking forward to hearing about plenty more of these positive reports as the season goes on while we wait for their upward mobility.