FanPost

My First Blue Jay Memory

Hello everyone

My name is Austin and I have been reading BBB for just over a year now but haven't really contributed too often. I was recently told a story that I would love to share with you. I've been a dedicated Blue Jays fan for about 6 years or so (I'm 19 so that's a significant portion of my life), however I used to watch Blue Jays games with my (late) grandfather as far back as I can remember. My first coherent blue jay memory is watching Alex Rios hit a really long home run at the Rogers Centre and him quickly becoming my favourite player (I know that's a bit embarrassing but what can you do). Obviously when I started paying closer attention to baseball and baseball statistics (such as batting average) I realized there were much better players out there.

Now for my first ACTUAL blue jay experience. I was recently having dinner with my father when he described to me how exciting it was when the Jays won the back to back World Series'. Being born in November 1992 I was a third trimester fetus at the time the Jays won the 1992 World Series. I was, however, a strapping 11-month year old lad when they won the 1993 world series. My father was recounting watching Carter hit the walk-off Home Run. His vivid description wowed me up until the part where he told me that I was on his lap when it happened. Apparently he stood up cheering and I went flying onto the floor. Now it is never a good thing when a parent tells you they dropped you as a child but for some reason I found this deeply satisfying. Perhaps, due to the traumatizing connection I had with the Jays, I was destined to become a lifelong fan. Know one can know for sure but all I can say is that I am hopeful to see another World Series win for our Bluebirds at some point in the near future. I hope that I have better control of bodily functions than the last time they won and that I too can feel joyful enough that I would drop an infant in celebration(of course I don't actually mean that part). Thanks for hearing my memory and for being an awesome community of fans.

Austin