Bluebird Links - Blowout Edition

April 18, 2012; Toronto, ON, CANADA; Toronto Blue Jays shortstop Yunel Escobar (5) throws to first base during the ninth inning against the Tampa Bay Rays at the Rogers Centre. Tampa Bay defeated Toronto 12-2. Mandatory Credit: John E. Sokolowski-US PRESSWIRE

It's never much fun writing these after a blowout loss, but they happen. I think today I'll pass on the game recaps. They're not a whole lot of fun to read after a loss like that. Hopefully the Jays rebound today and it'll be interesting to see how Alvarez pitches after not having his best stuff on the weekend. There are a couple of minor league recaps, where Vegas lost and McGuire had a good game, leading the Fisher Cats to a win. Also a very long prospect update post, so be sure to check that out.

JAYS LINKS

The Kelly Johnson Conundrum
Ian thinks that if the Jays are planning on resigning KJ, that they should do so now. Thoughts? What do you think Johnson would be worth on the open market?

Toronto Blue Jays weighing their options for fifth starter
Since Carreno did pitch last night, I'm assuming it will be between Hutchison or Chavez. Or the mystery trade / waiver claim man.

McGowan returns to his throwing program
McGowan is throwing again...which puts him roughly 6 weeks from making his season debut. I didn't think he would be out until June because of the foot thing.

2012 MLB Draft: Blue Jays Hold 5 of first 60 picks
The 2012 MLB Draft order was released on April 17 and the Blue Jays are only one of two teams with five selections in the first 60 picks (1st round and supplementary 1st round).

MINOR LEAGUE LINKS

Greetings From Dunedin: April 18
Bradley Ankrom has a giant prospect update post. This was written yesterday, before last nights games. Good stuff.

51s start fast, then fizzle in loss to Bees
Another loss for the 51's. At least Gose and Hech each put up a couple of hits. And Snider had another double.

Top-pick McGuire hurls Fisher Cats to victory
Kevin Gray with the scoop.

David Rollins: Dialed In
Jared Macdonald at Jays Journal looks at Lansing's number 4 starter, who he tells us not to overlook.

Lots of 'around the league' links after the jump, including early season trends, and the ageless wonder.

AROUND THE LEAGUE

Early in MLB season, walks, strikeouts, homers are way up
Joe Lemaire tells us that there are less plays in the field than ever so far this year. Mostly thanks to a jump in strike outs. Is there any reason to think this trend will keep going?

Justin Verlander’s Ninth Inning Heat
Bill Petti at FanGraphs compares Verlander's 9th inning fastball speed and pitch selection to other MLB pitchers.

Chris Young Goes Down in Line of Duty
Chris Young hurt himself making an excellent play in the field, which Drew Fairservice looks at. Too bad, he was off to a great start.

Will NBA Lead Charge Into Ads On Jerseys?
Rob Neyer wonders if we'll be seeing Ads on MLB jerseys in the near future. I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

Jamie Moyer becomes oldest pitcher to win major league baseball game
The previous oldest pitcher to win a game in the majors was Jack Quinn on September 13, 1932. Crazy.

Angels Extend Erick Aybar
Another day, another contract extension.