Quick Recap: Cecil Gets Pounded, Tigers Beat Jays

Even Eric Thames doesn't know what the Jays should do with Cecil. Mandatory Credit: Kim Klement-US PRESSWIRE

Blue Jays 8 Tigers 11

It was Brett Cecil's last spring start, and it wasn't good. He gave up 2 unearned runs in the first, on a fly out, double, ground out, then an error on Luis Balbuena (adding to his trade value). Brett should have been out of the inning there, but instead a runner score and Prince Fielder was on second. Another double scored Fielder.

The second inning was far worse. A ground out to start, then 7 straight hits, the last 2 home runs. A walk and a double play finished the inning, but 7 Brett gave up 7 earned runs.

Brett gave up 2 singles in the 3rd, but got out of it without any more runs scoring. He had his first 1, 2 ,3 inning in the 4th. The total line: 4 innings, 11 hits, 9 runs, 7 earned, 1 walk, 1 k, 2 homers. Just a nightmare of a start.

Luis Perez went 2 scoreless, with 1 hit. Danny Barnes, 1 hit, 1 walk, 2 k in his inning. Dustin Antolin gave up 3 hits, 2 earned, 1 k.

Our batters:

I really don't know what the Jays are going to do with Brett. With the season starting in 3 days, I'm sure there is a lot of discussion going on about whether they should go with Laffey, who wasn't good in his last spring start either, in Cecil's spot. They have a couple of days to figure it out.

Latest News

In This Article

Teams
Players