More on Last Night's Game

Apr 19, 2012; Toronto, ON, Canada; Toronto Blue Jays catcher J.P. Arencibia (9) looks to the dugout for signs against the Tampa Bay Rays at the Rogers Centre. The Rays beat the Blue Jays 9-4. Mandatory Credit: Tom Szczerbowski-US PRESSWIRE

Ok, some time has passed, let's look at last night's game.

There were a couple of good things about the game:

  • J.P. Arencibia doubled his season hit total, a double and a single, as well as missing a home run by just a few feet. Nice to see him swinging the bat better.
  • We did have 10 hits and 5 walks. Every player had a hit, expect for Jose Bautista, who had two walks. You'd think that we could have go more than 4 runs off.

We did have chances, 2 runners on for Eric Thames, in the first, and he grounds out. 2 runners on for Eric Thames, in the 3rd, and he strikes out. Bases loaded for Adam Lind, in the 6th, and he lines out. Bases loaded and 1 out, in the 9th, Brett Lawrie and Colby Rasmus ground out.

The big play of the game was the throw from Bautisa that J.P. missed. Gregor Chisholm's recap says the ball took a bad hop:

At first glance the play appeared to be a makeable catch for Arencibia but upon further review it was revealed that the ball actually took a bad bounce off the Rogers Centre AstroTurf.

"That's exactly it," Arencibia said. "I went in (the clubhouse) right after and I watched the film 20 times. I positioned myself perfectly for the throw. I'd do it 100 times the same way."

At the time, I wondered if it took a strange hop.

Jays of the Day? Yunel Escobar had a .130 WPA. J.P. Arencibia had a .098, but I'm not giving him one, even with the bad hop, I'd like to think he should have at least blocked the ball.

Suckage: Alvarez (-.382, 6.1 innings, 6 hits, 6 earned, 2 homers, 2 walks, 4 k) and Thames (-.138). I'm also giving one to Jason Frasor. His WPA isn't bad (-.015) but I figure if you give up 3 runs in 1.2 innings (that last about 5 hours), you get one.

Evan Crawford goes back to New Hampshire with a zero ERA in his first stint in the majors. 2.0 innings, 1 hit, 3 walks (all last night, one intentional), and 1 k. Hope we see him again soon.

Anything you want to add about last night's game? Or have you erased it from you memory?